APPLY NOW (more details below)
Grassroots Womxn Rising is the first statewide convening bringing together girls and women involved in The California Endowment Building Healthy Communities health equity campaigns. Grassroots Womxn Rising is an idea embraced by hundreds of women and girls who see the need for connecting with other women across the state.
The statewide convening will be an opportunity to:
- Develop a common agenda for social change
- Heal and engage in self-care
- Network and build relationships
- Develop leadership skills
Grassroots Womxn Rising is being guided by an Advisory Committee comprised of girls and women from The California Endowment's Building Healthy Communities sites.
Please refer to the Frequency Asked Questions for more details.
In 2017, six Regional Assemblies brought together 250 girls and women from 53 organizations from The California Endowment's Building Healthy Communities. Focus groups at the Sisterhood Rising Leadership Retreat (a camp experience for girls between the ages of 15 to 20) and interviews with over 30 key informants noted the lack of opportunity for women across the state to come together to develop leadership skills, network, and find ways to build power.
Following the regional assemblies, in May 2018 The California Endowment partnered with the United States of Women (USOW) and invited women and girls from the Building Healthy Communities (BHC) sites to join 6,000 women at a sold-out event at Shrine Auditorium. The event was followed by a networking dinner with key funders and BHC women and girls. The following day, over 50 women and girls from BHC participated in a half-day convening to build relationships, learn how storytelling can impact policy changes, and discuss the next steps, including the upcoming Grassroots Womxn Rising statewide convening in Fresno.
Saturday, March 16 to Sunday, March 17, 2019
(see agenda below for times)
The DoubleTree Hotel
2233 Ventura Street
Fresno, CA 93721
APPLICATION TO ATTEND
The deadline to apply has been extended to February 28, 2019 at 5:00 pm.
Due to the limited space available, we might not be able to accept everyone who applies. You will receive an email from us within one week of your submission letting you know the status of your application.
You must meet one of the following criteria to be eligible to attend the convening:
- Participated in one of the Regional Assemblies in 2017
- Affiliated with an organization from one of the TCE Building Healthy Communities sites
- Invited to participate by The Women’s Foundation of California
Coachella and City Heights:
If you are from TCE Building Healthy Communities sites in City Heights or Coachella, please contact Rosa Olascoaga at email@example.com for City Heights and Marisa Aceves at firstname.lastname@example.org for Coachella, for application details.
Other details about the convening:
- There is no charge for attendance.
- Interpretation will be available.
- There will be no stipends for participation in this convening.
- Reimbursement for childcare/attendant expenses is available.
We have arranged for charter bus transportation from several of TCE’s Building Healthy Communities sites. For other locations, we will reimburse your travel expenses. We will provide hotel rooms on Friday and Saturday nights for participants traveling from out of town.
|SATURDAY, MARCH 16|
|7:00 am to 8:30 am||Registration/Breakfast|
|8:30 am to 9:15 am||
Emcees: Tylo James (Community Coalition) and Juliana Taboada (Eastern Coachella BHC)
• Ome Quetzal Lopez, Dulce Upfront
• Beatriz Solis, Director TCE
• Dr. Robert K Ross, CEO/President TCE
|9:15 am to 10:15 am||Opening Speaker
Jennifer Newsom, First Partner
|10:15 am to 10:45 am||
|10:45 am to 11:45 am||Who's in the Room Activity|
|11:45 am to 12:45 pm||Lunch|
|12:45 pm to 1:45 pm||
Collective Action for Social Change
• Isela Gracian, East LA Community Corps
• Karla Zombro, California Calls
• Kim Carter, Time for Change Foundation
• Favianna Rodriguez, CultureStrike
• Moderator: Sarah Reyes, Communications Director, TCE Fresno
|2:00 pm to 3:00 pm||Collective Action for Social Change - Breakout Sessions|
|3:00 pm to 3:15 pm||Break|
|3:15 pm to 4:15 pm||Affinity Breakout Sessions|
|4:30 pm to 5:30 pm||Caring for Ourselves - Workshop Sessions|
|6:00 pm to 8:30 pm||Evening Celebration|
|SUNDAY, MARCH 17|
|7:00 am to 8:30 am||Registration/Breakfast|
|8:30 am to 9:45 am||
Mobilizing a Statewide Network - Morning Plenary
Emcees: Nakeya Bell (BHC South Sacramento) and Sophia Chhoeng (Cambodian Family Santa Ana)
• Dolores Huerta, Dolores Huerta Foundation
• Janetta Johnson, TGI Justice Project
• Ramla Sahid, Partnership for the Advancement of New Americans (PANA)
• Kimi Lee, Bay Rising
• Moderator: Sonya Young Aadam, California Black Women’s Health Project
|10:00 am to 11:30 am||Reclaiming Our Power - Skills Building Workshops|
|11:45 am to 12:30 pm||Closing - Let’s Take it All Home|
|12:30 pm to 1:00 pm||Box Lunch|
|1:30 pm||Charter Buses Depart|
Please email Pam Flood at email@example.com if you have any questions.