Apply to the Boards and Commissions Leadership Institute
Register for our informational webinar, or
an in-person informational session in Berkeley, Oakland, or San Francisco
Applications are due on
October 13th, 11:59 PM PST
- Join a network of social justice advocates influencing policy decisions on local and regional commissions.
- Gain a deeper knowledge of and the ability to apply a race and class analysis to local and regional transportation, housing, and land use issues.
- Participate in a facilitated learning community of field experts and trainers, advocate commissioners, grassroots organizers, and elected officials who will share best practices, lessons learned, and key concepts.
- Learn commission skills such as power/network mapping and inside/outside strategy.
- Committed to serving on a commission as a strategy to advancing justice for low-income communities and communities of color.
- Experienced in advocating for equitable policies.
- Knowledgeable about local or regional planning or policy on one or more of the following issues: transportation, land use, and housing.
- Knowledgeable about the public policy-making process and someone with political acumen.
- Someone with a strong reputation and relationships with grassroots organizations, advocates, and decision-makers.
- Resume, including one reference who can speak to your professional qualifications.
- Completed on-line application. Please note: You cannot save your application. You will want to have all your information ready to upload. We suggest reviewing the application beforehand.
- Nomination Letter (maximum 2 pages): In order to identify candidates who will be accountable to low-income communities and communities of color, we require a nomination letter from a grassroots or advocacy organization. Please ask your nominating organization to include the following information in their letter:
- What are your organization’s campaign goals, and how do you see the applicant advancing these goals on their commission of interest?
- How will your organization hold the applicant accountable to your campaign goals and members once they are placed on a commission or board?
- How will your organization support the applicant’s service as a commissioner?
How do I apply?
Applications can be submitted online. You can upload your resume and nomination letter in the designated area on the application form. Please note that you are not able to save your application so have all of your documents ready before you begin.
Selection Process and Timeline
Selected candidates will be interviewed in late October. All applicants will be notified of their status by the beginning of November.